The Academy promotes an inclusive working and learning environment in which students, staff and visitors are supported and welcomed and feel they belong
The Academy’s goal is for our staff and students to reflect the diversity of the national and international musical communities with whom we interact, and to be a place where people are free to be part of our community, deliver, enjoy and achieve musical excellence regardless of their identity or background.
Everyone working and studying at the Academy is selected, taught, trained, assessed, appraised, promoted and otherwise treated solely on merit and ability. Equity is at the core of our values, underpinning all our activities.
EQUALITY, DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION POLICY
Our Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Policy sets out the Academy's values and the framework of equality, diversity and inclusion in which we operate.
It also highlights the individual roles we each have to play in ensuring the Academy is an inclusive and harmonious place to study and work.
Please read our equality objectives below for more information.
Every year we evaluate how we have performed against our equality objectives and produce an annual report, which reflects on activities and updates since the last report, reviews how we are meeting the Equality Act 2010, and monitors applicant, student and staff equality data.
The Academy takes pride in being welcoming, friendly and most importantly an inclusive environment for all.
We adhere to the Equality Act 2010, which aims to eliminate discrimination, harassment and victimisation, and defines nine protected characteristics: age, disability, gender, gender identity or reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief, and sexual orientation.
We believe everyone at the Academy is responsible for:
- Understanding and committing to equity
- Helping to remove barriers, enabling all to fulfil their potential
- Challenging or reporting discrimination and harassment, should it occur
The Academy’s primary objectives to advance equity are:
- To continue to improve access to our buildings and services
- To continue to develop our widening participation initiatives (we have regular Widening Participation Committee meetings to address any equity issues and monitor our progress against our objectives)
- To promote equity and diversity in our procurement procedures and third-party relationships