Finding somewhere to live in London might feel like an intimidating prospect, but our staff are on hand to help

Whether you’re looking for the convenience of halls of residence or would like to live with friends in a privately rented flat or house, there are many options available.

2024/25 season

The accommodation applications for the University of London Intercollegiate Halls via the Academy for 2024/25 are now open.

Applications will close at 12:00 BST (midday) on Friday 14 June 2024.

Apply now


If you have any questions about accommodation, please email the Accommodation team at who will be on hand to answer any queries that you may have.

Support services for students looking for private accommodation are available from University of London Housing Services (ULHS), where you can seek free legal advice, should you run into any housing-related difficulties during your time at the Academy.


Read the 'Academy Students Accommodation Guide' below for an overview of all the different types of accommodation available to you.

For more information about searching for a property, dealing with estate agents, private landlords, deposits, rent, references, contracts and general advice about renting a property, check out our 'Guide to Private Rented Accommodation'.

If you require any help with accessing the documents, please contact

Accommodation types

Please find below explanations of the kinds of accommodation you can expect to find while studying at the Academy.

Intercollegiate Halls

  • University of London (UoL) halls of residence, situated across London
  • We have been allocated rooms in Nutford House, College Hall and The Garden Halls
  • Rental price includes catering at Nutford House and College Hall. Garden Halls is self-catered only

International Students House (ISH)

  • Affordable accommodation for students from various universities and institutions
  • Dormitory, triple, twin and single bedrooms available
  • Great Portland Street location, five minutes from the Academy
  • Apply directly as soon as the process opens on April 2024 as places are in extremely high demand

There are a number of other private halls, too – you can find more details in the accommodation guide above.

Student halls and flats are a popular choice, particularly for first-year students – utilities are included in the monthly rent and some halls also provide meals, making it easier to budget.

These options are often oversubscribed, so for the best chance of success, apply to more than one – the earlier, the better. Applications usually open in April, but check the deadline for each place you wish to apply to.

Lodgings and homestays involve renting a bedroom or part of a house from the homeowner, who also lives there. Communal spaces are usually shared. These lodgings are often on a short-term basis, giving you more flexibility. Bills and utilities are generally included in the price, making budgeting easier.

Houseshares are similar to lodgings and homestays, but you’ll live with a group of other people, not usually the homeowner. Bills are sometimes included in the price, but you may need to pay these separately. You should also check if things like council tax (a local tax) and TV licence are included. Generally, if everyone living in your houseshare is a student, you’ll be exempt from paying council tax and the Academy will provide you with an exemption letter.

You should start your search at the end of July/beginning of August if you’re looking for a room in September.

Details of available lodgings, homestays and houseshares are kept by the Accommodation Department. Email with ‘Housing List’ in the subject line for details.

There are also websites advertising this kind of accommodation, including:

Some students opt to rent private accommodation with friends. Register with local estate agents and start looking in late July/early August for a September move-in date.

Property portals are an invaluable resource that enable you to research prices and availability in your chosen area(s). Almost all estate agents are registered with the two main sites, and