UKCISA (UK Council for International Student Affairs) is an excellent source of information. You can also call them on +44 (0)20 7788 9214 with any queries you might have.

The main Academy contact for advice about your immigration status is the Admissions Manager, Edward Kemp-Luck (, in the Registry Department. There is no fee for advice.

Do not seek guidance from unauthorised sources. Please direct your enquiries to the Academy Registry or UKCISA, and also consult the UK Government website.

Below are some frequently asked questions, which should give you the information you need.

EU/EEA/Swiss students starting university in 2020 will not require a visa, but should apply for Settled Status. Eligible EU students will continue to pay the same fees as home students, and will be eligible for student finance for the duration of their course.

After 31 December 2020, these students will need a student visa and will no longer be eligible for the home student fee rate or UK student finance.

For more information about fees, see our fees, scholarships and bursaries page.

Yes. Contact after you have submitted your Academy application to UCAS Conservatoires, quoting your Personal ID Number. We regret that we are not able to support visa applications for travel to New York or our Australia and East Asia audition centres.

You will normally need a Tier 4 Adult (General) Student Visa if you are not an EEA/Swiss citizen. There are also Tier 4 Sponsored and Scholarship visas. Find out more here.

You should apply online on the government website after you have your CAS number from the Academy.

You will also be required to go to a Visa application centre, where your photograph and fingerprints (biometric data) will be taken.

Visas are administered by UKVI, a division of the government’s Home Office department. Before making an application, please ensure you have read UKVI guidance.

The earliest you can apply is three months before the start of your study programme.

You will first of all need your CAS sponsorship number from the Academy.

Do not apply too early. If you apply too early, your CAS number will be invalid and your visa application will be rejected. You would then have to make a new application and pay the visa fee again.

In 2020, the application fee for the Tier 4 visa is £348 if you apply from your home country.

Yes, the Immigration Health Surcharge must be paid as part of your Tier 4 visa application. This is currently £300 per year.

You can apply to the Admissions team for your CAS number, from June onwards. When your offer is Unconditional (GU status in UCAS), you can make your online CAS Request in the Acceptd portal.

Here is the link for you to access the portal:

Select Program Group "Visas and Immigration" then select Program "Academy CAS Number Request". Please read the on-screen guidance, this explains that you will need to upload copies of your financial documents, the ID page from your current passport and (if you have one) your current or most recent UK Visa.
If everything is OK we will request a CAS Number from UKVI and will email you your CAS statement. This contains the CAS Number which you will need to put in the visa application, and the Academy's Sponsor Licence number.

You will need to prove that you are able to pay for your course fees and living costs without being employed in the UK or claiming social benefit money from the UK government.

Normally, you will need to have the money in your own bank account. The account can be in your own country; it does not have to be in the UK or in GBP.

If the money is in the account of your parent(s) or legal guardian(s), you will need to prove that you are related to them, and that they have given permission for you to use this money. Usually you provide your birth certificate and a signed letter from your parent.

Currently, you have to show you have £11,385 for maintenance (nine months at £1,265 per month) PLUS any remaining course fees in an eligible account for a consecutive 28-day period. Read the requirements in full on the government website.

Before your office becomes Unconditional so we can sponsor your visa, the Academy will need to see copies of your qualifications to show you meet all the requirements for your course. For example, if you are joining a Master’s programme, we would need to see your Bachelor’s degree certificate. Do not send originals – you will need these for your visa application.

Your confirmation of acceptance message tells you if the Admissions Board requires a language test from you before you can join the Academy, or if you need to take a test to meet government requirements.

You may be asked to attend a credibility interview at your local visa application centre. It usually takes around five to ten minutes and is via video link. The purpose is to check your credibility as a genuine student.

Biometric data (fingerprints and photo) will also be taken.

You will need a tuberculosis test to enter the UK if you come from any of the countries listed here. The test must be done at an approved clinic.

Details of processing times can be checked online.

Please contact the Admissions team at the academy as soon as possible, with full details of the reasons for refusal. You will probably need to make another application, but if you are certain it was an administrative error, you can apply for an Administrative Review.

You must not travel to the UK without the correct visa. You will not be able to receive tuition at the Academy without a visa.

Your passport should normally be valid for the duration of your study programme in the United Kingdom.

You will be given a short visa, known as a vignette, in your passport. This will allow you to enter the UK for up to 30 days.

When you arrive in the UK, you must collect your Biometrics Residence Permit (BRP) – a card that contains your full visa, biometric data and personal details – before your vignette expires. Check that all the information is correct when you collect it.

You will need the following:

  • A valid passport
  • Your vignette (visa sticker in your passport)
  • A printout of the Academy’s confirmation of acceptance
  • Invoice for tuition and proof of payment, such as a printed confirmation from your bank or your CAS statement
  • Proof of finances (including any scholarship or other financial support)
  • Your boarding pass

You should also keep any letter that confirms you were granted a student visa.

It’s a good idea to make photocopies of important letters, your passport and visa, and store them separately from the originals.

Tier 4 visa holders should also keep their boarding pass for enrolment at the Academy, as we need to record your date of entry to the UK.

You must collect your Biometrics Residence Permit (BRP) within 10 days of arriving in the UK or before your vignette expires. It’s important to collect it in time as you can be fined otherwise.

Collection points will be specified on your decision letter. This will usually be the post office closest to the Academy, which 111 Baker Street, London W1U 6SG. Take your passport and, if possible, your UKVI decision letter – it will help the post office staff to locate your BRP quickly.

The government lists countries for which registration is required.

If your visa says ‘police registration’ or ‘register with police in seven days of entry’, you need to register at the Overseas Visitors Records Office (OVRO) within seven days.

You should also tell your local Police Station (not the OVRO) within seven days if you change your UK address after registering.

Your legal obligations and responsibilities are summarised in our guidelines.

Important obligations include:

  • Informing us and the government if any of your contact details change
  • Not staying beyond your visa expiry dates
  • Not breaking the rules of your visa

You must declare amounts of €10,000 or more (or the equivalent in other currencies) when entering the EU.

Cash/travellers cheques/bank drafts/etc are all defined as cash. If you do not do declare your cash, or if you provide incorrect or incomplete information, you could face a penalty of up to £5,000.

HMRC has more details about the EU Cash Declaration Scheme.

If you need to extend your stay, you must apply before your ‘permission to remain’ expires. You should allow two months for this. Find more information at

All UK applications are done online. You will need to request a CAS Sponsorship Number from us (see ‘How do I request a CAS Sponsorship Number’ above), and you can print your application before you submit it so the Admissions team can check it for you. Proof of finances will also be needed again.

If you finish one course at the Academy and progress to another, you must have submitted the application for your new Tier 4 visa before you can enrol in September. Keep proof of your UKVI application (for example, a printout of your online application showing the date submitted) to show at enrolment in case there is a delay receiving your new visa.

To ensure that the UKVI receives your documents in good time and the application is not delayed, please follow these guidelines:

  • Ensure that the printed copy of the coversheet is clear and correctly sized.
  • Include the application cover sheet when sending your supporting documents.
  • Ensure that documents are sent to the correct address and by using a postal service – UKVI is unable to accept courier deliveries, but you can use the Post Office Special Delivery service.

Make sure that you photocopy all your documents before sending them.

If you shorten your studies, for example by switching from a two-year postgraduate programme to a one-year version, or if you withdraw or take time out from the Academy before finishing, the UKVI will shorten ('curtail') your visa. You will not be given a replacement visa showing the new expiry date, but the new date will be held in the UKVI database.

If you withdraw before finishing, you immediately lose any right to work in the UK even though your visa remains valid for a short period after the withdrawal date.