If you have any questions regarding accommodation, please contact the Estates Department: telephone 020 7873 7386 or

There are many options available to Academy students when choosing somewhere to live, we have produced some guides to help you make your choice. Please note these guides are all specific to the 2019-20 academic year.

Please click to download our guide to accommodation for Academy students. This document provides a broad overview of all the different forms of accommodation available to Academy students.

Please click to download our guide to private rented accommodation. Read this document to take a more detailed look into how to rent a property in London. The guide looks into searching for a property; dealing with estate agents; private landlords; deposits; rent; references; contracts and general advice when renting a property.

Please click to download the University of London’s guide to Right to Rent checks. This guide will give you more information on these new government required checks, as referred to in the guide to private rented accommodation.

Please click to download our guide to the Marylebone Flats. Read this to find out more details on the Academy’s Marylebone Flats.

Applying for Academy Accommodation

The following application forms are available to download and are specific to the 2019-2020 academic year:

Please click to download the Marylebone Flat Application Pack 2019-20

Please click to download the Intercollegiate Halls Application Form 2019-20

Applications close each year on 1 June, so please ensure that you complete your accommodation application within this window.

Accommodation places are not guaranteed for all applicants - applications will be considered depending on your personal circumstances. Places are not given on a first come, first served basis.

University Student Homes

To apply for a place in the University of London’s University Student Homes, please contact their office directly using the contact details below. More information can be found on page 7 of the ‘guide to accommodation for Academy students’ above or via their website below. There is no deadline for applying for a place in these properties.

Telephone: 020 7664 4836 Email:


You can download our guide to student travel in London here.

Council Tax

Council tax is a local tax based on the property you live in. There is one bill for each house or flat. If you are not in a hall of residence, you must contact the local Council to tell them when you moved into the property, and send them your Council Tax exemption letter (as described below). The exemption is valid from the first day of your study programme until the programme is completed, so if you moved in during the summer holiday you will need to pay the tax for the dates which are in the holiday period. Enrolment Week does not count as a study period.

If you live in halls of residence, or in accommodation occupied only by students, you do not have to pay this tax. However, if you share accommodation with other students, you must all send your local council an exemption letter from your study institution. If you share accommodation with people who are not students, Council Tax is payable for the property and you will probably be expected to pay a proportion of the tax bill.

If letters arrive from your Council Tax office, you must read them and take any necessary action. If the letter is addressed to someone who no longer lives at your place of residence, make sure you contact the Council and ask them to update their records. If you ignore the letters, the Council Tax office may take legal action against you, possibly including sending bailiffs to remove your belongings. The Registry will be pleased to advise if you have any questions about this.

A Council Tax exemption letter will be issued by the Registry within the first two weeks of the academic year to all enrolled students who have provided UK addresses. If you do not receive one in your pigeonhole, for example because you enrol late or have forgotten to tell the Registry your London address, a request form for this exemption letter is available from the Registry (Room 110) and from the Academy’s intranet. Please allow three working days for the letter to be prepared, you will need to collect it in person from the Registry office and show your Academy ID card.

Remember to tell the Registry (not just your Department Administrator) whenever you change your address, or the Council Tax letter we prepare for you will not be valid. If you have a Tier 4 student visa you must also tell the UK Home Office whenever you change your address – that is part of your legal obligations as a visa holder.

TV Licensing

If you watch or record programmes as they're being shown on TV – on your tablet, phone, laptop, TV or any other device – you need to be covered by a TV Licence. Please use the details below to find out more and purchase your licence. (Students in the Marylebone Flats do not need to buy a licence as this is included in your rent.)


Telephone: 0300 790 6113