For studies starting in September 2015:
You can apply through CUKAS (Conservatoires UK Admissions Service) for most* Academy programmes of study.
Please see the information below about application deadlines.
There is a £16 fee for registering with CUKAS, and the Academy's application fees are detailed here.
In your CUKAS Personal Statement, please give details of your current or most recent teacher, your performing experience, music course membership, orchestral/chamber-music/operatic or conducting experience and your general music interests. Also please tell us why you are applying for your chosen programme of study, what you hope to gain from it, and how it will help your career aspirations.
For help with other parts of the CUKAS application, on the CUKAS web pages you can click the ‘Step 2: Applying’ link in the left hand column.
Remember, at the end of the process you must click ‘View all’ before paying and sending your application.
Please read the following points carefully:
Late applications: You can still apply after the deadline if the application is completed before the audition session begins, and we will include you if there is still space in the audition timetable. If the timetable is full you will be put on a waiting list. If no space becomes available and we cannot offer an audition, the Academy fee will be refunded. There is normally a higher application fee if you apply late for the London auditions.
If you have any questions about this, or if you are considering applying after the auditions have taken place, please contact the Admissions Officer on email@example.com or +44 20 7873 7357 before you submit your online application.
If you have completed a Bachelor Degree (in any discipline), or if you are a mature candidate (21 or over) and have gained relevant professional musical knowledge or skills, we would normally expect you to apply for postgraduate study at Masters degree level.
MMus candidates who are also interested in MA: you should only apply for MMus, this is because the assessment process for MMus automatically includes consideration for MA. See our Postgraduate Performance page for more details about our Masters degrees.
MA and MMus candidates at their audition can discuss their choice of study length (1 or 2 years).
Opera candidates who are also interested in Postgraduate Vocal Studies: you should only apply for an Opera audition (Advanced Diploma) because the assessment process for Opera automatically includes consideration for Postgraduate Vocal Studies (Masters degree).
Which Principal Study Option do I choose?
At the Academy, your main instrument (discipline or major) is called your Principal Study. Follow the link here for the Principal Study Options available in CUKAS for you to select for your entrance audition assessment.
It is your responsibility to ask two separate referees to write references. The references must be written by two different people, and we will not accept references from family, other relatives or close friends.
We need to receive the original reference document with the referee’s signature. If the referee has prepared a word-processed reference, they can print it and staple it to the form.
CUKAS provides the reference forms for you to download and send to your referees for completion, except for Research Degree applications for which the reference forms are provided with the Academy’s application form.
Who can apply by DVD?
• The Academy will accept DVD performances instead of a live audition for most Principal Studies, however you are not normally eligible to apply by DVD if you live in Europe, or (exept Musical Theatre candidates) if you live in North America or East Asia. The Academy does not accept DVD applications for Opera, Répétiteur, Conducting, Choral Conducting, Composition, undergraduate Jazz, post-Masters Diplomas or Research degrees.
• If you are applying for transfer to year 2 or year 3 of the BMus programme, you will need to attend a live audition.
How to make your DVD application:
• You must complete both a CUKAS application (by 1st October) and also the DVD form which is available on request from firstname.lastname@example.org. Your recording with the DVD form must reach the Academy's Registry office by 1st November. Recordings sent to us without the DVD form will not be processed.
• Please note that if you audition by recording, you will not normally be eligible for an entrance scholarship.
• DVD applications submitted in CUKAS after 1st October will incur the late application fee, and will only be processed at the discretion of the relevant Head of Faculty. The Academy application fee paid to CUKAS will be refunded if the application is not processed.
Doctoral students are always initially registered on the MPhil programme and usually transfer to the PhD following a formal transfer application in the first or second year of study. This is standard practice for UK doctorates.
The deadline for applications for 2015 is 19th January 2015. Applications for the Research Degree Programmes are dealt with in two stages. Firstly they are subject to an initial assessment by the entry panel. If your application passes this stage, you will be invited to attend for interview in London during March.
If you will need a support letter to help apply for a visitor visa to attend an audition in London, please contact email@example.com after you have submitted your Academy application. We regret we are not able to support visa applications for travel to New York or our East Asia audition centres. For detailed information on Immigration procedures for study at the Academy please visit www.ram.ac.uk/immigration-advice
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org
These are managed separately by the Junior Academy office.