This page contains information for outgoing Academy students looking to take part in exchanges and study-abroad programmes

Sir Elton John Global Exchange Programme

We are proud to announce the Sir Elton John Global Exchange Programme which promotes global mobility and international collaboration.

For information about opportunities for Academy students in the Sir Elton John Global Exchange Programme, please speak to your Head of Department or our International Officer Sarah Low.

Partner Institutions

In addition to that programme, we have study exchange agreements for Academy students with the following Partner Institutions for the 2024/25 academic year:

  • Musikhochschule Lübeck: deadline for receipt of approved applications: 1 April.
  • Conservatoire National Supérieur Musique et Danse de Lyon: deadline for receipt of approved applications: 28 March.
  • Mannheim Hochschule für Musik information PDF. Deadline for receipt of approved applications: 1 May.
  • University of Miami: please speak to the Head of Jazz. Nominations to Miami by 1 March, application deadline 1 April.
  • Sydney Conservatorium: see application information from the University of Sydney. Nominations to Sydney by 15 April, application deadline 30 April (July enrolment).

Bachelor degree outgoing study placements are for a full year in Year 3 of the degree course. Postgraduate outgoing study placements may be for a shorter period.

A request form for outgoing study placement exchanges to the Partner Institutions is available in the Registry fileshare area in the 'Services' section of the Academy's Intranet. You should speak first to your Head of Department and Head of Year or Tutor.

Please submit the completed and signed request form and the chosen institution's learning agreement form to Edward Kemp-Luck, Admissions and Student Exchange Manager, by 31 January to allow time for checking and approval before the Partner Institution deadlines.

Your request must be approved by the Academy before you make an application to the Partner Institution.

Tuition fees for outgoing Academy students

If you are going on a study placement for all or part of a year, you will pay your normal full tuition fees to the Academy for that year, though if you have an Entrance Scholarship you will still be eligible to receive that during the time abroad.

However, if you are a BMus student you will only pay around 15% of the full fee (that will currently be £1,385) if:

  • you are going abroad for a full year as a part of your undergraduate degree programme, and
  • you pay home (UK) tuition fees, and
  • you are eligible for student support from the UK government (a tuition fee loan).

Tuition fee loans are available to eligible students to cover these fees, and you may also be eligible for UK government maintenance grants and loans, based on the standard eligibility criteria. Details of the different kinds of funding provided by Student Finance England for outgoing exchange and study abroad students can be found in this study abroad fact sheet.

The reduced fees do not apply if you are an undergraduate student who pays international fees, or if you are not eligible for a Student Finance tuition fee loan, or if you are a postgraduate student.

Student Visa Holders

When a student has enrolled at the Academy with a UKVI Student visa and goes on a period of academic study at a partner institution, the Student visa will be curtailed because the student will be enrolled elsewhere. They will then need to request a new CAS number and get a new visa before they return to complete the remainder of their Academy course.