Junior Academy inspires and challenges talented young musicians from all backgrounds.
On Saturdays, the Royal Academy of Music transforms into Junior Academy. Young musicians aged between 12 and 18 travel from all over the UK to be part of our creative learning environment. Intensive one-to-one lessons, specialist classes and a variety of performance opportunities all add to the musical vibrancy.
We offer Principal Study and Second Study lessons in:
VIOLIN | VIOLA | CELLO | DOUBLE BASS | HARP | GUITAR | FLUTE | RECORDER | OBOE | CLARINET | BASSOON | HORN | TRUMPET | TROMBONE | TUBA | PERCUSSION | PIANO | ORGAN | CLASSICAL ACCORDION | VOICE | COMPOSITION
Second Study lessons are also available in saxophone and conducting, subject to demand. Weekly activities are varied and might include:
- A one-hour lesson in your main instrument with a specialist teacher.
- Second Study lessons, where appropriate (not included in the course fee).
- Chamber ensembles coached by one of our teachers or a visiting musician.
- Academic classes to develop aural and theory skills, general musicianship and an understanding of style and form.
- Rehearsals and performances of standard orchestral repertoire, with concerto opportunities for outstanding instrumentalists.
- SATB and chamber choirs.
- Masterclasses and workshops with distinguished performers.
- A variety of performance opportunities for solo, chamber, choir and orchestral players, from weekly informal performance platforms to major concerts in the Academy and in venues across London.
Other opportunities include keyboard skills, composition, conducting and Alexander Technique. There are annual competitions for each discipline and for chamber music, adjudicated by prominent visiting musicians.
‘My daughter absolutely loves Junior Academy. Not only is she growing as a musician, she is also so much more confident as a person. The students are treated as young adults, which has helped her to take responsibility and develop her independence’Parent