Auditions for entry will be a two part process, with a video submission followed by a live recall for selected applicants. Not all applicants will be invited to a live recall.
Below are a few tips to help you make your self-taped audition:
- Decide where you will make your recording – somewhere with natural light, where we will be able to see you clearly. Use a neutral backdrop – a blank wall works best.
- Turn the TV off, turn off computer notifications, silence your phone and shut the windows. Nothing ruins a self-tape more than car alarms or sirens.
- Use your iPhone, iPad, laptop or similar device to record with. The frame should be from the chest up and the camera should be at eye level. Be still and keep it simple – too much movement is distracting.
- Don’t overthink it. Be as prepared as possible when you start taping (memorised choices that you are comfortable and familiar with), so that you don’t waste time. Do two or three takes of each song or bit of text and pick the best one.
- Watch it back before sending. You never know if there will be a tech problem. If you are using a backing track or a live accompanist, please ensure we can hear you clearly above the accompaniment and that the balance is in your favour.
- Do not use any added reverb or pitch correction software.
- Relax and have fun! The wonderful thing about self-taping is you can do it until you get it right.
- Two contrasting songs, preferably with one song from the musical theatre repertoire. Singing to live accompaniment or backing tracks is preferred, but unaccompanied (a cappella) submissions are also allowed. You will not be penalised if you sing unaccompanied.
- A piece of text under one minute, preferably memorised, which could be a monologue, poem or paragraph from a story.
- A short, videoed explanation of why you’d like to join Junior Academy Musical Theatre. We want to see your personality, so please keep this spontaneous and unscripted.
- A headshot photograph (head and shoulders) taken on your phone.
Live auditions will consist of meeting our course leaders and performing their chosen audition song.
We do not mind if you want to use a backing track, piano accompaniment, or sing unaccompanied. A pianist will be available for applicants with sheet music.