The Academy aims to prepare students for a lifelong professional career, by offering a range of services that support student well-being.

We work with a broad range of medical specialists who deal with difficulties related particularly to performing musicians.

You may find this page on the UKCISA website to be useful:

Students from countries in the European Economic Area should read the guidance about sickness insurance on our International Student page

Paddington Green Health Centre

Paddington Green Health Centre is a general practice that provides treatment and advice for most ailments, injuries (including performance-related injuries) and ill health. It also offers help and advice relating to chronic illness and disabilities and offers access to psychological support as appropriate.

Students approaching the service will be offered an appointment with a practitioner who will assess the student and arrange a referral if necessary. Please phone to make an appointment. All information given by patients is confidential.

Paddington Green Health Centre accepts any Royal Academy of Music student on a temporary registration or in an emergency, as long as the student can get themselves to the office. (See ‘Registering with a doctor’ below.)

Paddington Green Health Centre: PDF leaflet
4 Princess Louise Close, off Church Street, London W2 1LQ
Telephone 020 7887 1600 or 020 7887 1601.
Telephone lines open: Monday to Friday 8.00am–1.00pm and 2.15pm–6.30pm

Appointments are between 8.15am–1.00pm and 2.15pm–6.30pm most weekdays (until 8.15pm on Tuesday and Wednesday evenings).

Help with healthcare costs

You can apply for an HC2 certificate which will allow you to get help with NHS (National Health Service) prescription charges, sight tests and dental care. The application form is called the HC1 and you can get this from a Jobcentre Plus Office or NHS hospital. Your doctor, dentist or optician may have one too. You can also request a form by telephoning 0845 850 1166 or by visiting You can get more information from the NHS Business Services Authority or by phoning 0300 330 1343.

Registering with a Doctor

Doctors in the UK are also known as a General Practitioners or a GP, and you should register with a doctor close to where you live (usually within two miles). A list of local doctors will be available from the local chemist (pharmacy) or the NHS website To register you will need to visit the doctor's receptionist during consulting hours, taking your ID card from the Academy as proof that you are a student and proof of your address in the UK. 

It is no longer possible to refer any patients for hospital opinions or treatment without an NHS number. This affects students who are using NHS GP services for the first time, usually because they are from abroad. Such student will need to register fully with a practice in whose catchment area they live. This will provide them with an NHS number. Students can then be seen by PGHC and referred if necessary.


First Aid

The Academy has named and trained first-aiders in the building.


The Academy’s Disability Advisor provides a confidential service on matters relating to dyslexia, mental health and other special needs. Please see this section on disability.


The Academy’s counselling service is a highly confidential service for all students of the Academy including individual psychological and emotional support, performance related health and mental well-being. Please see this section on counselling for more information.


You may need to take a tuberculosis test before you travel to the UK if you need a Tier 4 Student Visa, this requirement is explained in the guidance available through

If you are aged under 25, you are advised to have yourself immunised against meningitis.

The UK National Health Service provides information about meningitis at and at

There is also a You Tube clip from Meningitis Now:, and also an app:

New students under the age of 25 can access the meningitis vaccine from their NHS doctor (GP) if they have one, or from Paddington Green Health Centre.

If you are under 25 years of age, and have not already had mumps, we advise that you are immunised against mumps.