Student Banking

Before you start your studies at the Academy, you should open a UK bank account for security and for receiving payments from the Academy or (for EU students) from the Student Loan Company. There are a number of banks near to the Academy where you can open a student bank account. The Academy’s own accounts are at Lloyds, 185 Baker Street, London NW1 6XB, and many Academy students have an account there, but you can use any UK bank of your choice.

Before a UK bank will allow you to open an account, they must be convinced that you are really a student and that you have provided genuine identification. You will normally need to provide the bank with three proofs:

  • proof of your identity — usually your passport.
  • proof of your address in the UK — you will need to show a statement from another bank, or a credit card bill, or a bill from a gas, electricity or telephone company. If you have a bank account or a credit card account in your own country, you can ask your bank or credit card company to send a statement to your address here.
  • proof that you are a full-time student at the Academy – a special letter can be obtained on request from the Registry after you have completed enrolment (please allow three working days for the letter to be prepared), using the “Request Form for Bank Letter” available from the Academy's intranet. UK banks require that this letter includes your permanent overseas address, your term-time address in the UK, and confirmation of whether it is privately rented, a hall of residence, a room arranged through the Academy’s Estates department, or if you are living with a family, so please ensure that you give this information to the Registry.

Because of current security issues, it may take some time to get your new UK bank account; the websites of the British Banking Association and UKCISA have advice about this.

Changing your UK address, mobile or email

If you change your address in the UK, you must tell your bank immediately, or your account may be closed.

If you change your address, mobile phone or email account, remember to tell the Academy Registry, and your local police station if you had to register with OVRO in Borough when you arrived in the UK.

If you are in the UK with a Tier 4 Student visa, you must tell UKVI about your updated details: