UK and EU Undergraduates

UK and EU (home-fee status) BMus students can get tuition fee loans to cover the tuition costs

These are funded by the UK government and are administered through the Student Finance company.

EU students: The UK government has confirmed that tuition fee loans will be available for eligible EU students who join their Bachelor degree programme in September 2017 and September 2018, for the duration of the degree course. The 2017 announcement is published on and the 2018 announcement is here.

UK students can also apply for maintenance awards to assist with living costs. See the UK Government's Student Finance pages for details of the application process.

Also, under the terms of our agreement with OFFA, the Academy offers means-tested fee waivers to home-fee undergraduates. These are calculated on the basis of household income, as verified by HMRC after students submit their student loan application through the Student Finance pages.

Entrance Scholarships

Entrance Scholarships (except for Gap Year and Study Abroad programmes) are awarded on the basis of merit following a live audition during our advertised audition sessions; composers are assessed for scholarships on the basis of their second-round interview. There is no separate application process for scholarships. Scholarship disbursement for UK and EU BMus students is processed through the Student Loan Company payment mechanism after a loan application has been made. See the UK Government's Student Finance pages for details of how to make the loan application.

Other assistance

UK students who experience difficulties with living costs while they are on their study programme may also apply for assistance from the Academy’s ‘Access to Learning’ funds through the office of the Deputy Principal, after they have applied for the maintenance support available from Student Finance.

For EU and international students who experience extreme financial hardship that may arise during the course of the academic year, the Academy has limited funds available. Applications for this funding are made through the office of the Deputy Principal after enrolment.

National Insurance Number

If you are a Bachelor Degree student and a European Union (non-UK) citizen, you do not need a National Insurance (NI) number for your tuition fee loan application. If you do not have an NI number you should leave the National Insurance number box blank in the loan application form. However, if you already have an NI number, or if you get a job in the UK and are allocated an NI number, you should include it in the application form or contact the Student Finance Company's European Team call centre on +44 (0)141 243 3570 to tell them the number.