Funding by country

This page gives some funding options based on your country of origin if you come from outside England.

We recommend that international students contact either their own education ministry and/or British Council office for details of possible awards for study abroad. 

Information for non-UK students about working in the UK is available in the Student Finance section of our International Students page.

On this page, we have details specifically for students from Australia, Canada, China, Denmark, Germany, Indonesia, India, Ireland, Scotland, Spain, Turkey, the USA (including information about Federal loans), and Wales.


The Australian Music Foundation is a charitable organisation that promotes and celebrates Australian musical life, offering scholarships and awards to Australian musicians pursuing their further musical education outside Australia. Applications should be made during April/May.
Website –

Tait Memorial Trust: The Trust offers awards/grants for postgraduate study, performance opportunities to young Australian musicians and performing artists and general help in the furtherance of their careers while resident in the UK.
Mrs. I. Baring, Chairman, 4/80 Elm Park Gardens, London, SW10 9PD. Tel: 020 7351 0561


Most Canadian provinces offer some financial support if you are studying full-time outside the province, for example through the Canada Student Loan Program. Also see Employment and Social Development Canada for government loan information.

The Canadian Centennial Scholarship Fund (CCSF) provides awards ranging from £1,000 to £5,000 to Canadian men and women for academic and artistic study in the UK. 

The Canada Council offers a broad range of grants and services to professional Canadian artists and arts organizations. 

Global Education Management Services (GEMS) private loan assistance is available through GEMS in conjunction with the Royal Bank of Canada. 

The Hnatyshyn Foundation is a private charity established by the late Right Honourable Ramon John Hnatyshyn, Canada's twenty-fourth Governor General. Each year the Developing Artists Grants programme provides eight $10,000 scholarships to exceptional young Canadians in post-secondary performing arts training programmes. 

The Leon and Thea Koerner Foundation provides funding to stimulate and invigorate non-profit organizations in the cultural and creative arts and the social services who serve communities throughout British Columbia.

London Goodenough Association of Canada (LGAC) offers scholarships for graduate study In London. The LGAC awards Scholarships towards the cost of accommodation at Goodenough College. Deadline: January for September entry. Further details are outlined here in the latest Scholarship Notice.

Quebec, the Northwest Territories and Nunavut offer their own student financial assistance programs. 


China Scholarship Council


Anglo-Danish Society Scholarships for postgraduate research are available for Danish students wishing to study in the UK and vice versa. More details and an application form are available here.


There are various funding bodies open to German students wishing to study in the UK, including these:
Studienstiftung des deutschen volkes
Cartellverband der katholischen deutchen Studentebverbindungen
Evangelische Studienwerk Villigst

Konrad Adenauer Stiftung Studienförderung


Private loan assistance for Indian students is available through Global Education Management Services (GEMS). The application form is available on the GEMS website, and all applicants will require an Indian relative as co-signer, with assets in India. 


The Arts Council of Ireland Funding Guide is a useful source of funding sources. 


Sir James Caird’s Travelling Scholarship: Grants and scholarships available to Scottish postgraduate students, tenable for 1 year but may be renewed for up to 2 further years. Closing date January. No entry fee.
Details: The Administrator, Thorntons Solicitors, 50 Castle Street, Dundee, DD1 3RU.
Contact: 01382 229111 (ask for Mr N Barclay).

The Cross Trust: Open to graduates/undergraduates of Scottish birth or parentage. Aims include encouragement of performance participation in music and drama. Applicants must demonstrate outstanding merit; financial hardship also taken into account.
Apply: The Secretaries of The Cross Trust, McCash & Hunter LLP, Solicitors, 25 South Methven Street, Perth, PH1 5PE
Tel: 01738 620451 Fax: 01738 631155

Glasgow Educational and Marshall Trust: 21 Beaton Road, Glasgow G41 4NW

Student Awards Agency for Scotland: SAAS, Glyview House, 3 Redheughs Rigg, Edinburgh, EH12 9HH

The Scottish International Education Trust: Gavin McEwan, Scottish International Education Trust, Turcan Connell, Princes Exchange, 1 Earl Grey Street, Edinburgh, EH3 9EE or by email to 


British Spanish Society: grants are available to students of either UK or Spanish nationality and are awarded for postgraduate studies in any discipline including any field related to the work of the Societies Principal Supporters who generously fund the scholarships. Applications are now invited for five Scholarships of the order of £4,500, with a likely maximum of £5,000.
Closing Date – recently extended to 5th June 2017.
Website –

Erasmus+ master’s student loan: this scheme was launched in June 2015 for students whose home country is Spain. It provides loans to study for a master’s degree in another country. Full details of the loan amounts and eligibility critiera are available on the Erasmus+ website.
Website –


The Dr. Nejat Eczacibasi Foundation offers scholarship opportunities for prospective postgraduate students from Turkey.
Website –


Marshall Scholarships are available for study at the Academy; you should apply through by early October. You should separately submit a standard application to the Academy for an audition, either in London or at one of our North America centres. If the Marshall administration selects you as a potential recipient of scholarship support, that offer will be held until your Academy entrance audition process has been completed.

U.S. Federal Direct Loans

The Academy is a designated institution for American students enrolled on a degree programme (Bachelor, Masters or Research) to apply for a Federal Direct Loan or for deferment of payment on an existing Federal loan account. All enquiries about U.S. loans should be directed to the Academy’s Admissions Manager.

Information book about USA Student Loans 
We have an information book for students who take U.S. Government Direct Loans, this includes Consumer Information. It is updated regularly, so please check back for any revisions; we are pleased to provide a paper copy of this on request.
Also, the US Department of Education has a web page for studying outside the USA.  

Here is a brief summary, but please read the Information book for complete details:

  • Tuition fee deposit and loan disbursements: Please note that Federal loan funds are not disbursed until after you have enrolled on your study programme. This means the 25% advance deposit payment which is due in the Spring will have to be sourced independently, for example with a credit-card payment or a short-term bankloan, and you will also need to bring enough money with you for at least one month’s living costs at the start of the academic year. Loan payments are split into three equal instalments, paid around the start of each term (trimester) after initial enrolment; this is division of payment is a legal requirement, and also minimises the interest which begins accruing on the loan from the disbursement dates.
  • How to apply: To begin the loan process, you must first complete the FAFSA application form online through the FAFSA website.
    The Academy’s School Code Number is G11764 and the DOE code is 006696.
    Your actual loan application through should be made after 1st May and preferably by the end of the July preceding the start of your study period, to ensure that the Academy has time to check and authorise the loan during the summer before you arrive. A new loan application and relevant MPNs will be needed for each year’s study.
  • Confirmation of loan funds for visa application: To support an application for a Tier 4 UK Student Visa, you will need an original letter which confirms the certified loan amounts.Further information about this is in our US Loans guide leaflet available through the link above. You will also need a Visa Sponsor number (CAS number) from the Academy, this is issued on request after you have formally accepted your study place, paid the initial 25% tuition fee deposit, and met the conditions of entry stated in your offer letter.
    See also our information for International Students and Immigration Advice.
  • Policy Documents: The Academy’s policies are published here (PDF format) for Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) and Return of Title IV Funds (R2T4)

USA Private Loans

You can take a private loan as a partial or full replacement of the loan options offered through the US Government’s Direct Lending scheme. The Academy is registered with SallieMae and can authorise Smart Loans; application is either directly through SallieMae or through Global Education Management Services. Please make your loan application after 1st May to ensure that any credit checks remain valid until loan certifications are processed during the summer.

  • Tuition fee deposit and loan disbursements: Please note that private loan funds are not disbursed until after you have enrolled on your study programme. This means the 25% advance deposit payment which is due in the Spring will have to be sourced independently, for example with a credit-card payment or a short-term bankloan, and you will also need to bring enough money with you for at least one month’s living costs at the start of the academic year. If you are not using the loan funds to support a visa application, the loan will normally be disbursed in two equal instalments, one around the start of the academic year after you have enrolled, and the other during the Spring term, and if you prefer three termly instalments can be arranged if you request this from the Admissions Officer after you've submitted your loan application for certification.
  • Confirmation of loan funds for visa application: If you are using a private loan as proof of your finances for a Tier 4 UK Student Visa (see above), you will need an original letter from the loan provider, not from the Academy, and the loan has to be distributed in one single payment so interest on the entire amount will be calculated from the payment date. 


The Arts Council of Wales. Please check eligibility criteria carefully.