Outgoing Exchanges

Exchanges are increasingly popular amongst current Academy students, and provide you with an excellent opportunity to broaden your musical horizons and gain musical contacts outside the UK. 

The Academy offers its students the chance to study abroad as part of their undergraduate studies. We have two types of exchanges:

  • exchanges run by the European Union under the Erasmus exchange scheme
  • exchanges which are individual arrangements with institutions in North America, Australia and Japan; or with institutions in Europe which are not members of the Erasmus scheme.

How to apply

Application forms and guidance notes are available in the Registry fileshare area of the AIR intranet.

Tuition Fees for outgoing Academy BMus students

If you are going abroad for part of a year you will pay your normal tuition fees to the Academy for that year.
However, if you are a UK/EU undergraduate you will only pay 15%  of the full fee (that will currently be £1387.50 for non-ELQ students) if:
   • you are going abroad for a full year, under the Erasmus+ scheme or on a study year abroad outside the Erasmus+ scheme, as a part of your undergraduate degree programme, and
   • you pay home (UK/EU) tuition fees and are eligible for student support from the UK government (a tuition fee loan).
Tuition fee loans are available to eligible students to cover these fees, and you may also be eligible for UK government maintenance grants and loans, based upon the standard eligibility criteria. Details of the different kinds of funding provided by Student Finance England for outgoing exchange and study abroad students can be found in this study abroad fact sheet.
The reduced fees do not apply if you are an undergraduate student who pays international or ELQ fees, or if you are a postgraduate student.