Application references

You must ask two separate referees to write references. The references must be written by two different people, and we will not accept references from family, other relatives or close friends.

UCAS Conservatoires provides guidance about this and also reference forms for you to download and send to your referees for completion, except for Research Degree applications for which the reference forms are provided with the Academy’s application form.

We can accept reference texts uploaded into your UCAS Conservatoires application. If you did not have the reference text when you submitted the application we can accept the original reference document by post, or we can also receive emailed references directly from the referee's own email account. 

Candidates who are currently enrolled at the Royal Academy of Music and are applying for a new course with the same Principal Study (specialism) will only require an Academic Reference, this should be requested from their current programme tutor.