Application references

You must ask two separate referees to write references. The references must be written by two different people, and we will not accept references from family, other relatives or close friends.

We need to receive the original reference document with the referee’s signature. If the referee has prepared a word-processed reference, they can print it and staple it to the form. We can also receive emailed references directly from the referee's own email account, but we regret we cannot accept references emailed to us by candidates.

UCAS Conservatoires provides the reference forms for you to download and send to your referees for completion, except for Research Degree applications for which the reference forms are provided with the Academy’s application form.

Candidates who are currently enrolled at the Royal Academy of Music and are applying for a new course with the same Principal Study (specialism) will only require an Academic Reference.